The Laotian American Scholarship Foundation (LASF) is an organization that promotes the attainment of excellence in higher education for Laotian Americans in New York State.
20 percent of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the U.S. do not finish high school, and college graduation rates for Laotians are less than 10 percent. The activities of the LASF promotes the value of higher education to these challenged young people, as well as recognizing and taking pride in their rich and unique cultural heritage.
The purpose of the Laotian American Scholarship Foundation is to promote achievement in higher education among Laotian American youth and to strengthen the ethnic identity of Laotian Americans within Western New York State.
The organization grants scholarships awards to high school graduates of Laotian American descent in the Western New York who are seeking financial assistance in pursuing higher education.
The LASF also strengthens awareness of Loatian culture within their ethnic community and the larger communities in which they live, in the Greater Rochester and Western New York region.
LASF activities promoting achievement in higher education have included the following:
Grant scholarship awards to high school graduates of Laotian descent in Western New York State based on criteria set in application.
- Provide information on scholarship applications to all school districts.
- Publicize scholarship awards on laoamericanscholarship.org, Facebook, and posting flyers in public places commonly visited by the Laotian community.
Act as a liaison between schools, students, and parents.
- LASF board members meet with guidance counselors to identify Laotian American students who will be graduating, to offer assistance in clarifying the LASF scholarship application process, and to provide information on other minority scholarships to students and parents.
Celebrate and recognize Laotian American leadership and achievement.
- Provide awareness to the younger Laotian American generations on successes within the Laotian community by recruiting successful and highly educated Laotian-American community members to be cultural role models and speakers at LASF events.
LASF activities strengthening the ethnic and cultural identity of Laotian Americans have included the following:
Conduct weekly lessons on reading, writing, and speaking the Laotian language at Buddhist temples in Rochester New York.
Create Laotian cultural awareness in the community.
- Traditional Laotian dance.
- Laotian cuisine.
- Laotian etiquette.
- Participate in yearly Asian month cultural celebrations within the Laotian as well as greater Rochester communities.
We focus on: Education, Arts and Culture
Where we are: Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, Wyoming, Yates
Back to Not-For-Profits