WXXI Education is focused on the success for all learners in the Greater Rochester area from cradle to career.
Here are 5 ways in which we are helping to support educational success:
1. WXXI provides high quality educational PBS "Ready to Learn" programming on TV and online free of charge to everyone in our community. WXXI-TV, WXXI Kids 24/7 channel and live stream increases access to quality children’s educational programming for anytime learning. Research shows that use of PBS KIDS Ready to Learn programs, online content, games and apps, particularly by low-income parents and their young children, boosts math and science learning, literacy, social emotional skills, and helps prepare children for school and life. In fact, studies confirm that children who watch PBS "SUPER WHY!" score 46% higher on standardized measures of early literacy, kids who used media content and games from "PEG+CAT" showed improvement in critical math areas and children who watched PBS "Sesame Street" as preschoolers spent more time reading for fun in high school and obtained higher grades in English, math and science.
2. WXXI's American Graduate: Getting To Work Initiative is part of a national project to use multimedia to show students, parents, and the educators the types of well-paying jobs available in the region’s high demand job sectors. Thousands of jobs go unfilled each year in our region due to the need for skilled workers and WXXI is helping build awareness about these jobs sectors and resources with video shorts and career resources at: http://wxxi.org/grad
3. PBS LearningMedia provides teachers, students and families with a free on-demand educational multimedia library in and out of school. Tens of thousands of quality educational videos, interactive games and experiences are available. A recent study showed that students using PBS LearningMedia are positively impacted by an increase in content knowledge and critical thinking practices when it is integrated into existing curriculum.
4. WXXI offers 100+ workshops a year for parents, educators and caregivers, giving them the tools they need to make sure that children and adults are successful, from cradle to career. Also, 40+ WXXI informal hands-on learning events a year are attended by over 35,000 families, such as STEM exploration stations at the public library or science nights at a school or a large community partner activities event at the WXXI Studios with favorite PBS KIDS characters.
5. WXXI uses the power of public media to delve into community issues. We provide events such as listening parties, concerts, and screenings/talkbacks to bring together and connect our neighbors to resources and solutions to support their educational needs with informative programming.
With your help WXXI can continue to provide these important services to help support the educational success of learners of all ages.
We focus on: Education, Arts and Culture
Where we are: Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, Wyoming, Yates
Back to Not-For-Profits